Friday, February 3, 2023: Twice a week we bring you informational, educational, inspirational, and entertaining messages. This edition showcases the following topic:
- Friday Inspiration and Fun. Biologists tell us that we humans are closely related to other mammals within the primate family, sharing about 98% of our genetic material with chimpanzees. Primates instinctively adhere to the old hierarchy of alpha males and alpha females, but they tend to temper their instincts for dominance and ruthless competition with glimmers of collaboration based on greater intelligence (driven by larger brains) and greater reliance on communication within the group. Alpha male chimps are not necessarily the biggest or strongest, but are more often the savviest when it comes to forming political coalitions with other group members. Find out more on our website here: https://ourbetterangels.org/chimps-are-a-lot-like-us
- Coming Up on Tuesday– Information and Education.
Check out some of our favorite Good Causes:
- Ripon College https://ripon.edu
- Kiwanis International https://www.kiwanis.org
- Rotary Internationalhttps://www.rotary.org
- The League of Women Voters https://www.lwv.org
- Lions International https://www.lionsclubs.org
- US Chamber of Commerce https://www.uschamber.com
- US Main Street Programs https://www.mainstreet.org
A Better Angels Quote to Live by: Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Abraham Lincoln is universally regarded as the most revered president in American history. Lincoln ended his first inaugural address as follows: "We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."
The Better Angels Declaration of Interdependence:
Our Mission, Vision, and Values in Eight Bullet Points
- We share stories about our core values – courage, compassion, continuous learning, community service, and fun.
- We challenge others to fear not, pay attention, think twice, and help the helpers.
- We celebrate education, moral behavior, servant leadership, and good humor.
- We fight against fear, hatred, ignorance, apathy, and greed.
- We choose collaboration over competition, hope over cynicism, harmony over unity.
- We believe that the meek have already inherited the earth.
- We help others help others.
- We trust others to help us help others help others.